As a member of the Canadian Federation of University Women, CFUW Stratford is a non-profit organization of women graduates working to promote lifelong education, to improve the status of women and girls and to enable women to effect positive change for a peaceful, sustainable future.
CFUW Stratford – Who We Are
CFUW Stratford was founded in 1954 with an initial group of 30 university graduates. Some of the original charter members are still active in CFUW Stratford today. They embody more than half a century of remarkable dedication to both the club and the community.
ABOUT CFUW NATIONAL
CFUW is a non-partisan, voluntary, self-funded organization with over 100 CFUW Clubs, located in every province across Canada. Since its founding in 1919, CFUW has been working to improve the status of women and to promote human rights, public education, social justice, and peace. Every year, CFUW and its Clubs award close to $1 million to women to help them pursue post-secondary studies. CFUW Clubs are involved in community outreach on such initiatives as working to prevent violence against women, child poverty, early learning and child care.
CFUW holds special consultative status with the United Nations (ECOSOC) and belongs to the Education Committee of the Canadian Commission for UNESCO. CFUW regularly sends a delegation to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
CFUW Stratford is affiliated with:
- Ontario Council, representing over 4,500 members in approximately 54 clubs across the province;
- CFUW, with more than 8,000 women in over 100 clubs across Canada; and
- GWI (formerly IFUW), Graduate Women International, with more than 59 member affiliates around the world.
As a club we are committed to:
- the pursuit of knowledge;
- the promotion of education;
- the improvement of the status of women and girls;
- the protection of human rights;
- the promotion of peace, justice and equality; and
- active participation in public affairs in the spirit of cooperation and friendship.
CFUW Stratford Scholarships
In 2016, CFUW Stratford distributed more than $6,000 in scholarships to teen women from the 3 High Schools in the city.